Monday, November 1, 2010

Checking the Credibility of Sources Workshop (for Essay 3)

Monday, November 1st - Class Workshop - Checking the Credibility of Sources
Directions: 
  1. Determine the credibility of each source (i.e., author identified, publication date, sponsoring organization biased or balanced?, primary or secondary source).
  2. Explain why.
  3. Will you keep this source?

Works Cited
Fact and Statistics.” Schizophrenia.com, In-depth Schizophrenia Information and Support. 2004. Web. 28 Oct. 2010. http://www.schizophrenia.com/szfacts.htm.
This source is probably not a good primary source but probably is credible.  The author of the specific page/information listed is not identified.  There is no specific publication date listed.  I am unsure if the sponsoring organization is biased or balanced.  It seems balanced because it is a nonprofit organization that provides the reader with information and statistics to inform them about schizophrenia (its main purpose) and they use "good sources of scientifically accurate materials relating to schizophrenia and frequently consult with an ever growing group of schizophrenia researchers who act as unofficial advisors to the site" and "schizophrenia researchers who help on an unofficial basis by answering our questions and occasionally providing feedback on different areas of the site."  This source is a secondary source with almost all of its information coming from other sources (which are listed/linked).  It seems to be a good place to start for general information where I can go directly to the sources they use which are probably primary sources.  I would keep this as a source for my essay, but should not quote it.
 
Gatehouse, Jonathon. “Escaping the Strait Jacket.” MAS Ultra - School Edition. EBSCOhost, 18 Oct. 2010. Web. 26 Oct. 2010.  http://http//search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ulh&jid=MAC&site=src-live.
This is a good credible primary source, although I cannot get to the article by clicking on the link provided since I found it on EBSCOhost which is a database that you need to provide a password for to get into.  I don't think I cited it correctly.  The author is identified (Jonathon Gatehouse).  A publication date is given (October 18, 2010).  The magazine that it was originally published in (McLean's) is apparently a well known news magazine in Canada, then published on-line in the EBSCOhost database, which is an unbiased source.  It is a primary source since it is an interview with the individual who is the subject of the article and who is highlighted in my essay.  I would keep this as a source for my essay, but I need to figure out how to properly cite it in my paper.

Reed, Peter. "Kurt Vonnegut." Vonnegut.com -- The Official Website of Kurt Vonnegut. 2007. Web. 26 Oct. 2010. http://www.kurtvonnegut.com/artist.asp.
This source is not a primary but still a credible source.  The author is identified.  The publication date is not identified.  I am unsure of whether or not the sponsoring organization is biased or unbiased.  It provides information about the subject of my essay, but the information I used on the web site was actually reprinted from another article, the source of which is cited on the web site; so I suppose that makes this a secondary source, not a primary source.  I would keep this as a source for my essay or look up the primary source given and use that instead.

“Schizophrenia / Disorders / NARSAD.” Narsad / The Brain and Behavior Research Fund. Sept. 2010. Web. 26 Oct. 2010. http://www.narsad.org/?q=node/9/disorder#fragment-2.
This is probably a credible source, but not a primary source.  The author is not identified.  The publication date is not identified.  The sponsoring organization is likely biased since they are trying to raise funds for their research - which is the research/information they provide on the web site.  I would keep this as a source, but recognize that it may be biased.

“Schizophrenia.”  Columbia Encyclopedia. EBSCOhost. Web. 16 Oct. 2010. http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=umh&AN=IXBschizoph&site=src-live.
This is a good credible primary source, although I cannot get to the article by clicking on the link provided since I found it on EBSCOhost which is a database that you need to provide a password for to get into.  I don't think I cited it correctly.  The author is not identified.  The publication date is identified (October 16, 2010).  The sponsoring organization is unbiased since it is a research database.  It is a primary source.  I would keep this as a source in my essay.

Zieman, Ph.D., Gayle. Schizophrenia in Children and Teens. Publication no. 36255587. EBSCOhost. Web. 26 Oct. 2010. http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=hxh&AN=36255587&site=src-live.
This is a good credible source and I would keep it as a source for my essay.  I may need to correctly cite it.

No comments:

Post a Comment